Buy Used Guns in Australia

10 Part Guide to a Firearms Licence in Queensland (Part 1)


This information is NOT legal advice, and is only provided as a guide. If you require case specific information please contact Police Firearms Licensing Branch directly on 1300 171 011.


Before you start your application, please read this information carefully. This will help you to have everything ready before you start.

To apply for a weapons licence in Queensland you must:

  1. Meet the personal eligibility requirements
  2. Have a genuine reason to hold a licence
  3. Have access to secure weapon storage
  4. Complete an approved weapons safety course covering the category of weapon you’re applying for and provide your statement of attainment. The course must have been completed within the 12 months before the date of submitting your application.
  5. Provide the supporting documentation requested during the application process (learn more below)
  6. Provide a passport-quality digital image of your head and shoulders against a plain background. This image will be printed on your licence card if your application is approved.
  7. Pay the required fees (learn more below)
  8. Attend a Queensland police station with 100 points of identification when you are advised by Weapons Licensing. You will be advised in writing.


How to Apply for a Gun Licence 

The first thing is to be prepared. New licences require a passport quality photograph and supporting documentation, such as proof that you’ve completed a firearms safety training course within the last 12 months. The documents you need to supply may be different depending on the type of licence you need. Find out what documents you’ll need for your particular application.

You will also have to pay a fee for your gun licence.


Watch our video guide to applying for a gun licence.



Who Can Apply for a Fireams Licence in Queensland

To get a gun licence you must:

  • be over the age of 18
  • have successfully completed an appropriate firearms safety training course during the previous year
  • have secure storage for your guns
  • have a legitimate reason for owning the gun such as being a member of a gun club or a collector—you may have to provide proof to support your reason
  • be a ‘fit and proper person’—this takes into consideration your criminal record and potential health issues.

If you’re aged between 11 and 17, you can apply for a minor’s licence.


Apply online for a Weapons Licence for Firearms in Queensland

You can apply for a weapons licence online. You can either upload and attach the necessary documentation or send them separately by post.

You can pay using credit/debit Mastercard or Visa.


Apply at your local police station

You can also apply for a licence using a paper application form. You will need to complete the form and take it to your local police station with the required documentation and payment.


Permit to Acquire a Weapon

Once you either have or have applied for a weapons’ licence, you can apply for a permit to acquire (PTA) a weapon.

You must be over 18 years of age to apply for a permit to acquire, so a ‘Minors’ firearms licence is not accepted for PTA applications. Minors are not allowed to buy weapons in Queensland.

As with a gun licence, you can either apply for a permit to acquire a weapon online or at your local police station using the the paper form (PDF, 935KB).

There is a mandatory waiting period for a PTA of 28 days from the date the application is lodged.


Changing your Address on a Weapons Licence

If you have a weapons’ licence, you need to let the police know if you change your home or weapons storage address within 14 days of the change.

You can do this using the online change of address form if you have a current email address. Otherwise, you can complete the paper change of address form (PDF, 801KB) and take it to your local police station.


Renewing, surrendering, amending or cancelling your Weapons licence in Queensland

You can register new weapons to your licence but you may have to pay a one-off fee for each firearm.

You need to let the police know if your circumstances change (e.g. you change your name or address) within 14 days of the change.

Find out who to contact if your circumstances change, you lose your licence, or you need to renew, give up or cancel your licence.


Further information

Read more about:


Next Article


User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active